Dental Health Matters….
At The Tooth Spa, Leeds, we know dental health matters, especially for the elderly. There are well-known links between poor oral health and poor general health. Poor oral hygiene is common in elderly patients who may lack the dexterity to clean their teeth properly or may not remember whether they have cleaned them or not. Many carers have not had proper training in how to assist with tooth brushing. Sometimes carers assist with the cleaning of a partial denture but fail to realise that the resident still has some of their own teeth remaining which never get cleaned. Many elderly people have worn the same set of dentures for years, while gum shrinkage and weight loss mean that those dentures no longer fit properly. Badly fitting dentures are uncomfortable and make eating difficult, sometimes leading to further weight loss or the resident refusing to wear their dentures and having to move to a diet of pureed food. Denture wearers are also as much if not more at risk of oral cancer than those retaining their own teeth but if your residents are not having dental check-ups, this silent killer could go undiagnosed.
What provisions do you currently have in place for residents needing access to dental care?
Are you able to supply staff and transport to take residents out to a local practice? Do you have to pass the cost of this on to the residents? Do you rely on visiting relatives to take residents to dental appointments? How efficiently is the NHS able to respond when you have a resident requiring a home dental visit?
Oral and dental health has often been a low priority for some time before people enter residential care. New residents will each have a care plan but how often does anyone ask “When did you last see a dentist?” Or “How old are your dentures?”
We are able to visit and carry out an oral health screening for your residents – contact us for further details.
Look after your residents’ oral health needs without transport, mobility, staffing or administrative worries. we offer a caring and stress-free experience for residents and oral healthcare training for care staff, helping homes to meet CQC outcomes.
BENEFITS FOR CARE HOMES
- Confidence that you are meeting CQC outcomes by enabling residents to access dentistry and oral healthcare
- Evidence you are aware of the impact that poor oral health can have on the general health of your residents
- Opportunity to promote on-site private dental care as part of your service
- Peace of mind that your residents enjoy a caring & stress-free experience
- Evidence that you value and safeguard residents’ privacy, dignity & quality of life
- Eliminate the transport and staffing costs of taking residents out to dental appointments
- Free advice on preventive care and dietary requirements
- Free oral healthcare training for care staff
BENEFITS FOR RESIDENTS & RELATIVES
- Access to regular dental and oral healthcare helping to maintain general health & well-being
- Screening for Oral Cancer
- Dental treatments offered on site, no need to arrange transport, no mobility issues
- Experienced dental staff, gentle, courteous and caring approach
- Comprehensive treatment plan
- Denture fabrication, adjustment & repairs
- Peace of mind for relatives
Tell Your Residents and Relatives about Us. Please tell residents and their families about our service.
To discuss possible care home visits for you, a relative or a friend please call ‘The Tooth Spa Ltd’ on Leeds 0113 2625545 or fill in the enquiry form below.